IIM - key component of many business transformation strategies
On the path to greater digital efficiency, productivity, and scalability, businesses must find the best way to manage information and use it to their advantage. This is where intelligent information management and automated intelligent information management come into play.
According to the State of Information Management report, every business is currently in the early stages of a comprehensive digital transformation journey. At the heart of this journey is the need to better understand, anticipate and redefine external and internal customer experiences. Business transformation depends on agility, operational excellence, innovation capabilities, automation compliance, and information governance.
Here is what you need to know if you are ready to take your information management strategy to the next level for a new era of business automation.
What is Intelligent Information Management
In order to properly implement the tools and processes required for information management, organizations must first know what the term means. Intelligent information management or “IIM” is a strategy that aims to improve the way information is processed and used in the business landscape. Automated intelligent information management is the next step in this journey to help organizations leverage information for things like better customer service and network performance.
Today’s businesses generate and process massive amounts of information every day. We reportedly generate about 2.5 quintillion bytes of data every day. Without the right systems in place, much of this information would simply disappear into the void of the digital landscape.
Part of any successful digital transformation, therefore, must be learning how to manage the right amount, velocity, and variety of information.
This is where information management technology comes in.
IIM and AIIM solutions provide access to things like:
- Content Services: a modular solution designed to collect and use information whenever and wherever it is needed, for knowledge bases, customer service, and countless other use cases. This solution provides access to data wherever it is stored.
- Process Services: tools that can be delivered via a simple app or low-code solution to provide a framework that allows the business to maintain control over processes.
- Analytics Services: Automated tools for processing and analyzing information. For example, a software company might create an automated diagnostic and troubleshooting tool.
All of these services must be linked and analyzed consistently to respond to a changing business environment. An intelligent and automated information management solution greatly improves the processes of businesses and helps them overcome common problems. For example, an automated information management tool can be used to gather information about network performance. From there, businesses can automatically take actions to improve performance and provide better customer service.
Best Practices for Intelligent Information Management
Although the demand for intelligent and automated systems is increasing, there are still many companies that are not familiar with IIM. The best strategy for these companies to unlock the potential of IIM is to partner with a vendor that understands AI, automated systems, and workflows.
It’s also important to follow these steps for intelligent information management:
Step 1: Create, share, and capture information.
A strategy needs to be implemented for securely capturing information from every touchpoint in the enterprise. Organizations need to think about what kind of information they want to collect and what goals they want to achieve with their IIM strategy. For example, if you want to provide automated customer service through a virtual agent, you first need to collect information about customer issues and how to resolve them.
In this situation, collecting information for intelligent business processes in the customer service landscape would begin. You could also use tools to gather information from reviews, customer feedback, and surveys.
Step 2: Analyzing information
Gathering the information for an IIM strategy is only the first step. Once you have the right data, you need the intelligence to analyze it and turn it into something that benefits the business. For example, if you want to provide a digital self-care troubleshooting system for businesses, you would start by using AI to define all the common signs of certain problems in a system.
Once your system can identify the factors that lead to certain common hardware, firmware, or software issues, it can recommend the next steps to the customer or simply initiate automated responses to fix the problem.
Step 3: Implementing automation
Information management gives organizations the ability to make the most of the data they collect on a large scale. This enables the creation of various intelligent workflows and automation to streamline business processes. To take full advantage of IIM, companies need to identify the information they need to pay attention to and how they should respond to certain alerts and disclosures with automated systems.
For example, a proactive network management tool could start with intelligent information management that helps companies understand where network problems are likely to occur. Alerts and alarms can then be set up within the system to take action when network metrics fall below a certain level.
Step 4: Governance
When information of any kind is collected and managed in the modern workplace, it is important for organizations to be aware of how they are protecting that data. Information of all types must be stored and analyzed securely while maintaining the highest standards of data protection and privacy.
When implementing IIM and AIIM technology, companies need to make sure they are working with a partner that understands their specific data resiliency and protection needs. In some organizations, governance may include things like anonymizing data or automatically encrypting information sent to the cloud.
What to Remember with Intelligent Information Management?
Intelligent information management and automation are quickly becoming essential tools for businesses in all industries. To truly reach the next level of digital transformation, businesses need to know how to properly capture and use data. An IIM solution can pave the way for more informed decisions and better customer service.
To reach a better IIM or AIIM level, companies need to start with a realistic assessment of the current state of automation in their business. The reality that most companies face is that despite their best efforts, process automation is usually not as advanced as companies would like it to be. Many companies struggle to implement the right automation practices into their backend as they continue to grow and gather more and more information. Keep this in mind when implementing IIM:
- Educate shareholders and executives: Corporate leaders, such as shareholders and executives, need to understand the benefits of automated information management systems in order to consider an investment. It’s easy to focus on the idea that IIM could improve customer service and revenue but remember that there are a variety of benefits to consider depending on the technology and objectives. The right IIM solution can improve data quality, reduce errors in data management and retention, and even significantly increase productivity across the organization.
- Add automation to IIM: Automation makes intelligent information management more effective by ensuring that human professionals do not need to be on hand to respond to a change in business information. Robotic Process Automation and workflows can help companies in any industry, from Telco to Banking, achieve better business results immediately. Imagine if you could set up a workflow that would allow your business to immediately respond to network performance or asset functionality issues. The right automation solution would mean you would not even need to contact a technician to initiate a resolution.
- Look at the bigger picture: Ultimately, Intelligent Information Management is a powerful tool for the future of digital transformation and business productivity. But it’s also just one example of a wide range of capabilities that could transform the modern enterprise. There are countless other forms of intelligence, automation, and other technology solutions that can help you achieve better results for your business. If you are ready to take the next steps in digital transformation, take a holistic approach.
Intelligent information management is an exciting next step in the future of digital transformation. If you need help building your automation strategy, contact Bulb Technologies today.